2 lbs Beef (Aldi angus stew beef)
5 slices chopped bacon
1 C chopped red onion
3 cloves minced garlic
3 celery stalks chopped
10 baby carrots chopped
1 head cauliflower - tops only, chopped
3 C beef stock
1 C Cabernet Sauvignon - or other dry red
Salt and pepper to taste
6 T tomato paste
1. Cook bacon in pan until crisp, set aside
2. Cook stew meat in bacon grease over med-high heat, brown all sides. Remove beef and place in large pot - I use a cast iron dutch oven
3. Reduce heat to medium and add onion and garlic, saute until soft - about 5 mins. Add cup of wine, scraping bottom to release the sticky bits. Simmer 5 minutes.
4. Add onion mixture to large pot along with all remaining ingredients. Add additional water or stock to cover all ingredients. Bring to a boil, stirring often for 5 minutes. Reduce to med-low, cover loosely and cook for 2-3 hours or until stew thickens and beef is tender - stirring occasionally.
5. Top with bacon and serve
* Serve with "90 Second Bread" (see my recipes) - add cheese and garlic to batter before microwaving.